Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Tuesday Tutorial - clorox cover

Its still tueday right? I love clorox wipes! I have them in nearly every room.  And as great as they are, sometimes they are a bit of an eye sore for me.  I've been wanting to come up with something to hide them, and I finally did! And it didnt even cost much! With all the contact paper out there these days, I'm sure you will find one that you like.  And there will be plenty left over for future projects.  I did not have any on hand, so I had to buy some.  I couldn't find any in stores I liked so I went to amazon.com  and bought this one.  I ordered a large roll because I knew I would use it for other stuff.  So my total for this project was 11.78. 

You'll need a scissors, tape measure, contact paper, your clorox wipes and at least 3 paper towel tubes along with packing tape, which I just noticed is not in this picture!  I use the larger container of wipes, so that's what I used here.  Waiting for the paper towels to get used up so I would have enough seemed to take forever!




Here we go! Ok, so first you need to cut all the tubes.  2. Place the first one around the container.  And then roll it over and place a second one next to it.  3. Start taping the seams. I did both sides of all the seams.



At this point, I only have 2 taped together.  I cut off the excess at the top of the container.  I left it a little high, but not to high. I wanted it to be tall enough to keep it concealed, but still so I was able to get the container open without ruining it.  Hopefully that doesn't sound to complicated.




I put the third tube on the same way as the first two and taped both sides of the seam.  Then I measured around the tube.  I cut the piece out of the contact paper to the exact size of the cover so that it wouldnt be so hard to roll on and so I wouldn't have to cut so much off when it was on.


Now I didn't put this in the begining as it is not a must.  But based on the contact paper I selected, I didn't care for the way it looked against the brown tube.  I wanted a nice bright, crisp look, so I painted the tube white for a good background.




Pic  A. I just wanted to show how I started the paper.  Even doing it this way was still a little tricky keeping it positioned, but it was easier to keep pushing the air bubbles out.  B) is just starting the roll and C) finished putting the contact paper on the tube


I didn't need to cut down the paper since I pre measured it to the same size as the tube.  But I did take an exacto knife just to clean it up a little.


Ta-da! A finished, re-usable, clorox container cover! I love the way it looks! It came out much better than I thought it would.  And now that it's on my counter, you don't even hardly notice it.  And you definitely do not notice the big bright orange spot on my counter in my red, white and blue kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment